Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Bloggers on Blogging

I searched through many of the bloggers listed as available to us. Click after click after click. Nothing was catching my eye. When I stumbled across Heather Armstrong's page I finally found something that interested me. Here was a blogger that got me: a designer that wanted to write. Who understood the frustrations of clients and the need to stray away from Photoshop now and again. Although her life has changed since she started her blog, and she now writes a lot about raising a family, I found the beginning of her blogging story relatable, as I'm sure other parents find her story about raising a family relatable now.

Her reason for writing seems to be a reason most people start: for herself, for her family. She says she wants tell a story in a way that her family can feel as though they've witnessed an event as well - especially when it comes to her daughter. She wants to provide her perspective from small things and little occurrences in her everyday life - not big ideas such as political debates and grand gestures. Those are the things I enjoy reading about though. There is another blog called "Enjoying the Small Things" that I LOVE reading (and by love I mean I have become so enthralled by this story, I crawl into bed with my laptop and admire her pictures and story, and reading late into the night. It's like a giant, bestselling novel I can't put down.) The everyday life is relatable and doesn't require a background of knowledge in a specific topic. It's real.

I think the reason both of those blogs (Heather's and "Enjoying the Little Things") are successful is because they are honest. As Heather notes "I say things people are afraid to say." I think the interview helps unravel this idea, and shows the reasoning behind the blogger's writing. Even though we may see it and be able to identify it, hearing it first hand from the blogger hits the nail right on the hand and helps us new bloggers to understand it. And, hopefully, to find inspiration and reason from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment