Sunday, May 4, 2014

“This media we call social is anything but, when we open our computers and it’s our doors we shut”…


Check out this Video!

A few of my thoughts:
1. Overall a good point. I see it when I'm going to new places: my brothers are sometimes so wrapped up in their devices they don't look around. 
2. I want to "look up" when I study abroad. Not because data costs a lot abroad or because I'm sightseeing, but just general day to day things. To get lost and find my own way rather than rely on my phone 24/7. 
3. At family events I do see people sometimes so caught up on social media they don't converse - same goes to his point about commutes on the bus or running into some one on the street.
4. However, I think our arguments correlating children's curfews and the tighter constraints on them set by parents, afraid of stranger danger, is a great point, one he seems to overlook when he talks about less kids at the park or outside. On the other hand, I think the amount of young children who know how to use a smartphone or tablet and prefer it to outside games is getting a little ridiculous. 
5. I don't agree that we are completely "unsocial," and that social media does the opposite of connect us and socialize us to other people. I can connect to other people I otherwise wouldn't be able to without current technology such as smartphones and Facebook. I do think that we need to step away from these devices when we are with friends or family, and use them only when we are alone or at home with free time. 

What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment